Thursday, April 26, 2007

Some quick blog pitches

There's a circle of blogs that I read that likely overlap some with yours but I doubt completely. Even Amanda and I have a few that just don't resonate for the other person. She reads scrapbook blogs that I sometimes find self-indulgent and in some ways econmically perverse in a sort of suburban housewife sort of way. I read lit. major and academic blogs that she likely finds self-indulgent and overdramatic and...but I guess that's the point of searching out other bloggers - find people with our own fetishes and pecurlarities so we feel a bit more normal. Or look for something so different from us that it's like exploring a new country. Or just because we found it, started reading it and can't stop...like a bad soap opera.

The following are some blogs and sites I often read but you might not. Some make no sense if you know me, like the first two, while others are pretty obvious. Don't feel offended if yours is not included. If you make the occasional comment on my blog, I figure other people can track you down that way.

A warning: I have a tendency to recommend sites or start reading blogs only to have them stop posting after I've become invested in them so this list might be the kiss of death for some of them.

Tulipgirl: An intelligent, former expat with an ecclectic variety of topics about things like faith, the Ukraine, food and parenting. Really I used to follow her husband's before it got hacked repeatedly. I'm thinking Red's Head and Because I Like Hearing would enjoy it.

Owlhaven: Mother of nine who has some connections with Ethiopia. She is also giving away a couple of copies of One if you leave her a comment or make a pitch on your own blog about it (thus, this entry). Parenting, homeschooling etc. I found it through Gretchen but Beegracious might also like it.

The Bored-Again Christian: I've only linked his blog/blahg here since I my internet is too slow for anything else but it is a great site if you need material for pretending you know something about music (or at least that's why I use it). I know Jake reads it but does Ben or Barry?

Paris and Seattle Daily Photo Blogs: Just what they say they are. Also a great starting point for finding a city of your choosing or if you want to start your own daily city blog. John?

African Adventures: Again, read the title. She's the type of person we would have been friends with in college, even if she is...Canadian. Lisa?

The Chronicle of Higher Education: Too cheap to pay for a full subscription, I just read the headlines and the free stuff like the First Person columns. It's just like being on faculty only without the students, office, classes to teach or meetings to attend. (I don't know who'd like this other than Barry and I.)

Those are just some of them. My others are mostly Campus House people. Some I occasionally find by fluke like Chris Genders (no link since I don't know if he'd want it out there) or comments they make on other friends' blogs. It's amazing who you can find just by following links or comments.

I also read some by people with my name since I think it's odd that there are lives being led by people using my name that I have nothing to do with. Or I'll search out my city or country or some passing interest.

Who are you reading that I should be?

4 comments:

Gretchen Magruder said...

Jon, we've got a student who reminds me alot of you....for several reasons, including a bald head and a love of literature. Check out Kevin's page at www.aquinas.livejournal.com

Steph H. said...

without question . . . you ought to read www.branthansen.typepad.com. A radio personality from Florida, formerly from the Champaign area. Very funny, yet asks lots of poignant questions about how we do church these days. He's good for making you think.

TulipGirl said...

*grin* Thanks for including me! Btw, Hubby's site is unhacked, though he is only posting occasionally:
http://www.postmodernclog.com

Jonathan said...

Gretch - I can see that. Sounds as though he's a bit more into scifi/fantansy than I was even at that age. Maybe if I'd gone to UHigh instead of Heyworth I would have fallen into more of that crowd.

Steph, you're absolutely rightabout Brant's site. Funny and intelligent. Something Tulipgrrl's husband or JustPete could really have fun with.

Thanks all.