Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Come cathars with me

I used to love that word "cathartic" (I've taken to simply creating my own verbs recently - thus "cathars"). The definition we would use in literature classes would normally include something like "the emotional purge...". As I remember it, the word is basically the relief one feels at the end of a series of tragic events (think the end of Hamlet when everyone is dead, "Thank God it can't get any worse").

So I want to enlist you in my own cathartic rush: What is your breaking point? What is the one thing that pushes you - or has pushed you - over the edge? The AC/DC playing at the neighbor's house at 2am? The inability of your boss to spell your name correctly? The spouse who can't seem to get the plates clean when he offers to wash the dishes? The tenth call for a glass of water from a child who should be sleeping?

Things are better. The schedule seems a bit more duable. Last night I got nearly seven hours of sleep. My wife continues to be a rock. Not exactly cheerful yet but God is good and in control. Always.

1 comment:

Steph H. said...

Our deal to sell our home and purchase a new one just fell through yesterday . . . by no fault of ours. I thought I was going to die yesterday. Today I'm getting some perspective back. I identified with your "broken" entry I read yesterday. I need some sleep and some perspective. Life . . .hmmmm.