Friday, March 24, 2006

How NPR set my car on fire

Ok, maybe "almost set my car on fire" or even "could have set my car on fire" would be a bit more accurate.

Recently I've been listening to NPR since 1. We don't have a good listener supported Christian radio station in the area, and 2. I want to be just like Just Pete. This should not be a problem in and of itself except for the fact that I really find their stories to be interesting. Liberal, sure. Overly intellectual? Definitely. But where else will I get to listen to a story about Darfor in the Sudan followed by a piece about the 40th anniversary of the release of the three clawhammer banjo LPs?

Because of this, I ofen find myself listening so intently to the radio and then ruminating over what I've just heard that I forget to turn off the car engine when I get home, when I'm pulling into a parking space or getting gas. Recently I had almost gotten the gas tank cap off before realizing that the car was still running. Thus the title of this entry.

I just wish it'd happened while I was listening to "Car Talk."

4 comments:

Gretchen Magruder said...

funny.

that's why I listen to NPR, too....to be just like Just Pete.

That, and I'm tired of hearing the same 10 Contemporary Christian songs over and over and over and over and over.......

Anonymous said...

Well, if there's one thing our family has in common, it's militantly-liberal radio. And Just Pete.

byronfrombyron said...

DON'T move to Champaign-Urbana. EVER. We now have three public radio stations. Well, actually one is the U of I's NPR station, one is community radio, and the newest is community low power FM. Between the three, there's almost always something worth listening to. Oh, and the newest one sometimes has the oddest and coolest song sets ever on radio. No two songs connect, it's great.

Anonymous said...

Your car?

I don't listen to that garbage, so what, I'm out of the family??

B