Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Heading out

I'm not sure who to blame. Maybe it's dad and the family vacations we went on but never flew to. Maybe it's Heyworth - a town I blame everything on like it's a mean stepparent. Or the books I read as a kid. Or the cultural exchange programs I never participated in but was always surrounded by...

In any case, despite my anxiety, I really love to travel and as I get older I'm finally getting comfortable with it. I enjoy a nice plane ride (as long as the plane is large enough to have a bathroom on board), I understand taxis and I'm even willing to attempt a bus for short trips. Amanda doesn't know this yet but I think we'll try a subway next week to get us to or from the zoo!

Tomorrow we leave for Singapore to get some passport things done and I can't wait to explore the city a bit. It will be our first extended visit to the city but thanks to our previous overnights there, we're beginning to feel comfortable there despite the crowds and the novelty of everything. We're learning the main roads and the layout of the airport. We'll attempt shopping and touring the local cutural sites. We'll eat at restaurants other than Subway (it's safe travel food for me) and might even find an Indian or Ethiopian. I even think that both Amanda and I will get an afternoon alone to explore what the other isn't interested in.

So yeah, we'll be gone through the 10th.

1 comment:

Steph H. said...

Heyworth is a hub of activity these days as a tanker truck explosion melted a bridge on I-74, and left Heyworth the detour town to get back on 74. It'll get this traffic for at least 6-8 weeks.