Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Because lists are easier than thinking...

Hoping to get some of you blogging again, so let's start with something easy: Fives.

(*This idea shamelessly stolen from Tanya who didn't tag anyone when posting her response to her sister's tag.)

1. List five jobs you would like to tell people you do for a living even though you don't.
- "I save lives." (Then simply walk away.)
- "I design personal libraries in the homes of wealthy individuals who have neither the time nor the compulsion to read."
- "I'm a balloon safari tour guide."
- "I run a foreign-language bookstore."
- "I teach English in developing countries."
(I may actually be writing this from my basement in Pekin, Illinois.)

2. List five things you no longer have but wish you did.
- That polyester planet shirt. (Pete, do you have it?)
- Any of the glass heads I once collected.
- A copy of the movie Bob Roberts.
- My youthful exuberance.
- Risk, the board game.

3. List five things you were doing about ten years ago. (Stolen directly off Tanya's sister's list.)
- Recovering from my internship in Kenya.
- Gearing up for another year of graduate school and trying to figure out how to pay for it.
- Trying to figure out what will happen between me and a friend I had become smitten by.
- Looking for a place to live in Charleston.
- Thinking about moving to a country not found on any of the maps in ISU's map room.

4. List five "unnecessary" indulgences you sometimes give in to.
- Staying on "executive floors" at hotels.
- Cold Coca-Colas in glass bottles.
- Staying in the shower until the hot water runs out.
- Buying DVDs I probably won't watch more than once or twice.
- Buying certain books mostly so that someone else might be able to borrow them.

5. List five things you enjoy doing that you didn't when you were younger.
- Grammar
- Trying new foods (and, yes, I'm still easing into this one).
- Talking with strangers.
- Playing baseball.
- Walking to the grocery store or to a restaurant.

OK, here's the pitch: If you haven't posted five blog entries in the last five weeks, consider yourself tagged. If you haven't had an in-person conversation with me in the last five years, consider yourself tagged. Or if you're reading this and you are over five years old, consider yourself tagged.

Now get writing.

4 comments:

Jake T said...

sweet. I totally dodged that bullet.

11 posts, yo.

Jonathan said...

Look at the last one

Tanya said...

Hi! Well, you see, I wasn't quite finished with the lists... I have a short attention span and sort of got distracted in the middle of them. I was going to tag someone at the end of the lists, really, I was :) But you've saved me from having to tag someone, since you've already tagged yourself on my behalf! Does that count?!

I do like the additions you've made to your lists... might have to go back to mine and complete some more lists!

Anonymous said...

Indeed, I have both the planet shirt, a glass head, and used to have that copy of Bob Roberts. Your youthful exuberance I sold at a garage sale for 25¢.