Friday, July 20, 2007

Some songs I wish I'd written

Gypsy by Suzanne Vega (that “My Name is Luka” girl)

American Pie – a bit too obvious of a choice?

When Love Came to Town

Jack and Diane by John…Cougar…Mellencamp

Hold Me Jesus (or about 70% of his other songs) by Rich Mullins

Hey Jealousy – the Gin Blossoms

Silent Running – Mike and the Mechanics

Hazy Shade of Winter – Who sang this song first?

Power Windows (our wedding song) by Billy Falcon

I Miss the Rains - Toto

Play Something We Know – Adam Hood

The Chasing Song or Passover Us – Andrew Peterson

Silent Night/Eleven O’clock News – Simon and Garfunkel

My Tree - Chris Rice

(I Want to) Paint It Black

Last Mango in Paris

We Are the Beggars at the Foot of God’s Door – The Normals

Don’t Stand So Close to Me (or almost anything from Dream of the Blue Turtles) – Sting

Mr. Tambourine Man - Bob Dylan

The Dangling Conversation – Simon and Garfunkel

Puff the Magic Dragon – Peter, Paul and Mary

5 comments:

Jake T said...

nice list.

Steph H. said...

I think The Bangles (as in Walk Like An Egyptian) sang "Hazy Shade of Winter" . . . but you're probably thinking of someone cooler than them.

Jonathan said...

Jake - If it's not too late, consider this a tag for the same topic.

Steph - Yeah, I know they sang it but I think somebody did it for real before them. I have to believe that, otherwise I don't know I could face having "The Bangles" on my list.

Anonymous said...

Oh, c'mon Jon, you should know better. Simon and Garfunkel did it first on Bookends Rookie.

And it's actually "Africa" by Toto. You missed a great karaoke version of this with me and G-grude.

Good list, tho. I'm not so sure about the 70% of Rich Mullins, however. That's a LOT of Rich Mullins. And no Rush? Cars? Drive? Just What I Needed?

Steph H. said...

please find "Andy McKee" on You Tube and hear his version of "Africa" by Toto. Nice.