Tuesday, July 03, 2007

PVC, the LSD of home repair

I have stumbled into my latest addiction with all the carelessness of 1960s flower child. I was looking to expand my horizons. I wanted to break from the restrictions unnecessarily placed on me by the Man (ironic since I am also the Man). I wanted more than my life currently had. I wanted freedom. I wanted to shower every night and allow my wife the option of doing laundry whenever she wanted.

So a while back I bought an extra water tank, capable of storing 550 liters of life giving, if not drinkable, water. The problem was that in order to fill this new tank, Amanda and I were required to wake up in the middle of the night, when the city water actually flows, stretch a hose between the two and siphon it from one to another. Not the best mode but the easiest one for the time being.

Yesterday Amanda and I went to the hardware store to make this job a bit easier. We bought eight meters of 3/4 inch pvc, assorted elbows and joints, a couple of shut off valves, a hacksaw and sealant. The total bill for the project was less than 15 USD! Now, with the cuts made and joints ready to be sealed once the old tank is empty, I am left with something like eight feet of pipe and a couple of couplers and joints. What to do with this? The mind reels.

It's a bit early to be thinking of our move North after the new year but I'm already thinking of a batting cage for the back yard or garage. Maybe @ needs a mini soccer goal? Or if we have a small yard I can build Amanda a plant stand. What about a workbench? Or a series of ferret tunnels? A giant croquet course? Sure, I'll need more than eight feet but at these prices I could buy miles of the stuff and it'd still be cheaper than books or DVDs. Already @ has a sword than doubles as a dirt tunnel.

So I need ideas to feed this obession. Ideas? Bookshelves and shoeracks are easy but I need a challenge. So many possibilities, so little time before language class begins again.

5 comments:

Steph H. said...

The local children's museum here has a musical instrument made of PVC pipes. Each pipe is a different size, each representing a different note. You make sound by actually smacking the pipe with a flip-flop (sandal). Probably could find instructions on the internet somewhere. We use PVC pipes down in the cracks of our sofa to hold down the slip cover. PVC . . . our friend.

Nanna said...

As part of the continuing effort to catch up, this is a test. We know very little about pvc, so don't have much help on the specific topic.

Chris Genders said...

How about a potato gun? Some PVC, a cap, a little hairspray, an ignitor, and a potato. What could be more fun?!?

By the way, I really enjoyed reading your 107 comments about yourself! I'll have to remember that when I hit 100...

shana said...

Hey Jonathan!

Thanks for the comment on my blog! Great advice! I recognized the need to debrief immediately (even while I was still in Kenya) and contacted a few friends who had been in Africa earlier this year. Unfortunately, most of those conversations have taken place over-the-phone (I'm an in-person, person). Still, it's nice to vent with those who have been through the culture shock before.

The adjustment back to America has been a difficult one, but God continues to remind me of his Goodness and Faithfulness to ALL His children, even (especially) to those who live with nothing.

God is Good. And that's more than enough for me.

Thanks again for your comments/advice! I hope all is well wherever you are. :)

-shana

oh, and you have the most amazing sister...ever.

best chainsaws said...

There are many house repairs and home improvements that are well within the ability of the average homeowner. Ten of the most cost effective do it yourself home repairs - those with the biggest bang for the buck - are listed below. Paint that room. Painting just may be the easiest, and the most valuable improvement any homeowner can make.