Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Another List

The following is another top ten literature list - this one compiled by J. Peder Zane. He had 125 living authors come up with their top ten and then, using statistical analysis came up with the following:

1. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
2. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
3. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
4. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
6. Hamlet by William Shakespeare
7. The Great Gatsby F. Scott Fitzgerald
8. In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust
9. The Stories of Anton Chekhov by Anton Chekhov
10. Middlemarch by George Eliot

What bothers me most is not what is included on the list but how little of it I've read. I know I've read three of them, maybe as many as four - didn't I have to read Middlemarch while in college?

Thankfully, no Ulysses.

3 comments:

Steph H. said...

Middlemarch has been sitting on the shelf next to my bed for 4 years . . . I've started reading it approximately 48 times. Enough said.

byronfrombyron said...

I've tried reading Nabakov's Invitation to a Beheading. From my reading, I don't think you've missed much by not reading Lolita. His writing just does absolutely nothing for me. Yevgeny Zamyatin, or Aleksander Sholzenitsyn, now, they rock.

Anonymous said...

blasphemer!