Friday, June 10, 2005

Altered Perspective

This morning while on the phone I had one of those Santa Claus epiphanies. Or maybe it was more like learning that Pete Rose gambled on baseball. Or that the "Sunday Morning" guy had a secret family nobody knew about until he died.

It's tough when your perspective about someone is shattered but even more so when you realize who else is being hurt. I was bothered that Jesse Jackson had an affair not because I like Jesse Jackson or because I thought he was an exceptionally good man. I was bothered those years ago because I was thinking about his wife and if he had kids and what it would be like for them when they went to school. I wondered how much of their life together she also questioned. I thought about those people who did look to him as a moral role model.

People with secrets can claim they were decieved into decieving or that the lies they told were necessary or sacrificing. They can blame addictions or events in their past or chemical imabalances. And I do sympathize and accept that sometimes people have little control over their own thoughts or actions. But it still hurts.

I'm thankful that my wife has nothing to hide from me. Neither of us have the time or energy to be deceptive. We're barely smart enough to correctly spell charade - I know we could never pull one off.

When a perspective-altering event occurs, it's tough not to rewrite history or second guess past actions of the individual...

I don't know where else this needs to go...

So much for writing a blog saying why Pete Rose should be allowed into the Hall of Fame!?!

No comments: