Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Just like the Parent Trap

I've written about finding your doppleganger before but didn't expect to run into one of mine here, in a town that isn't in any of the guidebooks and barely on the maps. But he's here and I have confirmation that it's not just my imagination (unlike my assertion that Just Pete's can be found in the movie National Treasure).

Jimmy's, my favorite store in the city, is staffed by Donny - an otherwise bright and curteous fellow - who insists in calling me Andy. This might seem odd if I hadn't met Andy. Andy is a white, thirty something midwesterner who wears khaki pants, has a bit more belly than he should, walks around in hiking boots and baseball cap; and has shorter hair than his wife would like. Andy sounds a bit more like Dan Akkroyd than I do but is a passable likeness if a person squints or only looks from a distance.

This was also confirmed today when walking with a couple of Americans who had spent the last week at a conference in one of the resort towns WITH ANDY, and they still thought I was him.

Amanda and I also speculate that maybe one of the reasons our bread order wasn't delivered last week was that Andy had cancelled his order.

I don't know if I should mention this to him or not - he may view it as an insult - but it seems a shame not to take advantage of this similarity. Shouldn't we swap families and see how long it takes them to notice (no thanks, he has more kids than I do but he also has a motorcyle...?). Or maybe we should trade places so we can reunite our estranged parents and get Dad to dump that golddigger fiance of his...

Or maybe not.

No comments: