Monday, March 12, 2007

Random Thoughts of life here

Just some things that have popped into my head since arriving here on The Island:

We have a pink plastic bathroom door that has a red "occupied" indicator when you close it and a green one when it's available. I think it may have been salvaged from the short-lived Virginia Slims airline from the 1970s. We've come a long way baby.

They sell Pepsi Blue. I haven't tried it but will. On a related note, soda always tastes better from a glass bottle.

It is hot - like Florida hot - but totally liveable with a fan and a cool washdown.

Within days of arriving in a new country, I almost always feel more at home than I do while in the US. I love Singapore but could never afford to live there.

I think our houseworker ironed my underwear yesterday. I don't have enough language to tell her to stop.

I once again am Yonatan or Yonathan.

My wife is in rare form when has a goal - like putting together a house. Amazingly talented woman.

Our new favorite store is Jimmy's. No sign out front of this ordinary house. In the livingroom are things like Dr. Pepper and cereal and Maple Syrup - whatever expats like most.

Price Check:
Bus to downtown - .30
Double bacon cheeseburger - $2.50 (Note: Must find out where they sell bacon.)
One game of Time Crises II or Dance Dance Revolution - .30
Hotel in Singapore when nothing else is available - $175
Cost of a better room at the YMCA - Under $100
Spaghetti with chicken on top - .90
Nerf Hoop and ball at Subway - Free with a Kid's meal
Mini multi-tool - 2.00 after gift certs. from Singapore Air

We live in a neighborhood cut from the jungle. It feels a lot like the Grandma and Granpa Bunkers home in Venice, Fl that started out on the edge of the swamp only to end up in the middle of the subdivision.

Got a couple of dinner invites already. Odd that a person we spent a summer with in Africa has been a bit more standoffish.

Am looking forward to walking to language school with my wife in the mornings. Maybe we'll hold hands or I'll offer to carry her books.

I really look forward to learning to ride a scooter/cycle. I may get a bike once I have a better feel for the rules of the road and see if I can buy a bike helmet for my big noggin.

I'm reading Finn by John Clinch - a story of Huck's dad. I think I'll be recommending it but no call yet.

Oh, I need to find out if there's an English book store in town. But a bookshelf is first.

Amanda video messengered with her mom today over the internet. It was a bit like talking to the space shuttle but you can't beat the price - only the cost of our internet service. Who else has a web cam? (Mom or dad - you'll have one coming sometime soon. Pete can show you how to work it.)

We've fallen into the rut of using our African when we don't have the local word for things. We still use Italian to say goodbye.

Lots more thoughts but enough for now.

No comments: