Sunday, March 25, 2007

Eating the breeze

Just randomness. Skim at will.

Fun phrases: Sleeping policemen - speedbumps
Eating the breeze - out and about
English key - Adjustable wrench

I apparently only (or at least am most likely to) snore after an evening of writing.

In africa, I nearly bought a copy of Newsweek with Walter Mondale on it simply because it was in English and uncensored. Here I can't even find ancient American magazines for sale.

But there are arcades/fun zones about every other block.

Projects from this weekend: Get old-fashioned key unstuck from the keyhole where it had been jammed. Completed kitchen light cabinet that will hopefully stop spices and sugar from clumping/going bad too quickly. Wired another to use in our wardrobe to prevent clothes from going bad. Moved in new filing cabinet, office chairs, ladder, drying rack, pillow and bolsters. Really used the new drill.

Heard a sermon from yet another German named Marcus - we knew one in Africa too.

Not a criticism, just an observation: We may be the least reserved people in the country. Maybe the four Australians we know are close but most of the Americans we've met seem like they were pilgrims fleeing from the Charleston library because it was simply too loud.

In language class, I am that student I was in highschool. I want to do well but when I get frustrated I return to sarcasm. Or I attempt to distract/stall until the bell (in this case a bird call) rings.

Here we switch teachers, not classrooms for subject changes.

I "quest" as an excuse to wander. It's a good way to get to know the city. It starts out looking for the practical - things like tools and groceries, maybe furniture. But the searches gradually builds to the less likely like "low water use, massaging shower head with multiple speed settings" or the always ellusive "where can I buy a euphonium?" By the time I get to that last one, I'll probably be accentless and totally fluent. I've got the tools and groceries and at least some of the furniture so I think I may look for a baseball bat and gloves next.

Pottytraining is not fun. @ recently tried to change his own diaper (twice) during his nap. The first was mildly successful, resulting in him using all but one of his wipes but not quite able to put the fresh diaper on. He left the expended diaper on his dresser. He was found asleep and britchless, clutching his clean diaper. The second attempt was a bit more...messy.

On the plus side, sheets wash and we have tiles on all the floors. He's slowly getting closer to that day when the bulk of our carry-on space will not be taken up by disposables. Then the bulk of our carry-on space will be taken up by snack and toys and games and books...

There is noone I enjoy toiling through life with more than my wife. It seems like everyday we get to that point where we can't help but laugh. The fact that every Saturday night, we lose water. That the electrity goes out just when we've finally gotten @ to sleep and we can get some uninterupted work done. That in the process of trying to "fix" the hotwater heater, I realize I don't remember if the "on" switch is supposed to be up or down.

I want to own a couch where the whole family can sit and watch a movie.

I love that we brought a portable dvd player with us. Sure, the computer would also work but this is much easier to take away to our room or put out for @ while we make dinner. Arrested Development has been my cultural closet I can hide away in. One season is already through. Thanks Pete and Janet! (To show that I am not a completely irresponsible parent, @ is not allowed to watch Arrested Development. At least not until we watch it first.)

Amanda is sure that @'s new best friend, the spider that lives in our front "yard" that he calls Charlotte, is not poisonous. Amanda may be right but if you live in a jungle, everything is poisonous. Right?!?

I used the local ATM the otherday and realized that Amanda and I are finally multimillionaires. Related: I have finally broken past that problematic 16.5 stone weight area. At this rate I should be no more than a pebble or two by Christmas. Oh, never try to convert your weight to milligrams. It makes you feel really bloated.

I don't know who is in the Final Four but would watch it if we could.

1 comment:

John said...

hilarious. I really enjoy your blog... especially the line: "most of the Americans we've met seem like they were pilgrims fleeing from the Charleston library because it was simply too loud." lol!

btw: Georgetown #2, Ohio St #1, Florida #1, and UCLA #2...