Sunday, December 04, 2005

A Victim of Prophecy???

I remember in college hearing someone (maybe Pete H. or Jason Hel. or one of the Johns) tell me about an encounter he had with someone who knew all sorts of things about him that this person shouldn’t have known. I don’t remember details but I do remember coming away from the conversation skeptical. At the time, I think I could have accepted supernatural acts of healing, vague glimpses of the future, or even the odd David Copperfield miracle but that particular act wouldn’t qualify.

In the last few years, I have come to accept that the Spirit does more than offer nudges in the right direction. While the voice isn’t loud yet, I have no doubt that it does speak when I’m in the right place and listen.

So several months ago when Tor and his wife, two internationals I’ve known since arriving, told Amanda and I that they’d had visions about us, I listened openly but with some of that past hesitation. In the visions, it was clear that Amanda and I would be having this problem with Immigration. In Tor’s version, it included another international friend. Ignoring the obvious fact that everyone has problems with Immigration sometimes, it does bring up an interesting dilemma.

If it is a true prophecy, what should my response be? What can I do about? Nothing. Neither of the two people were given the discernment to offer a direction for Amanda or I. Does the vision mean that we should pack up now? Not from what they said. Does it mean we should move or stop doing what we’re doing or distance ourselves from our friends? No. Did it really offer anything in terms of guidance? Not really.

So we continue to be light and salt. We attempt to be good stewards and be prepared without being led by fear. We use the wisdom we have been given and continue on with life. We listen. We try and take the opportunities presented. We try and grow and learn.

I guess that’s all any of us can do anyway.

1 comment:

Gretchen Magruder said...

I do think that God gives some people dreams and visions.....but when I was pregnant with Sophia, a woman at our church told us that the Lord had told her we were going to have a little boy.....after Sophia was born, obviously a female, Todd's remark to me was, "you know what they used to do with false prophets? Stone them."