Tuesday, July 26, 2005

A Tail of a Residual Self Image

This is hardly an original idea. For those of you who don’t live under a rock (or some developing country), you might remember The Matrix brought up the idea that we all have a true image of who we are. My wife and I have discussed this and Tammy’s blog reminded me that even as we grow up (and out), there is still a kernel of who we are that really doesn’t change. On a recent Sunday as I was getting ready to go out, I looked in the mirror and saw my (almost) exact residual self image.

Thin, metal-framed glasses. Ancient, huge, Ironman watch. Khaki pants with a brown belt. Brown shoes. Long sleeve dress shirt in a solid primary color (sometimes blue but in this case white). Sleeves rolled up. Unremarkable tie, loosened slightly.

If you have a picture of me at some planned, even remotely formal gathering, I probably am dressed in some variation of that. Maybe I have a suit jacket on. Maybe I’m in a polo shirt or have jeans on (likely with a suit jacket). The watch might be different. But those are just variations.

When I really think about it, though, I’m missing a tail. My residual self image needs a long tiger tail curled around to the front. When I was something like five I used to wear a tiger costume whenever I could. I would chew on that tail. Maybe it was some fascination with the Wizard of Oz – I would also jump out from around corners and try to scare people when I wore that. I think that’s part of me that I just can’t shake. And I don’t think I want to get rid of that part of me.

Yeah, even now, I’m pretty sure I need a tail.

1 comment:

Gretchen Magruder said...

that slobbery tail was so gross.