Monday, September 11, 2006

Obligatory 9-11 Posting

It was tragic. Lots if of people died. Lots of people survive without those loved ones who died.

But it didn't really have an impact on my life in any way beyond the superficial. I've never been to New York or the Pentagon so the new highschool in Heyworth seems more out of place than the construction site in New York. I knew no firefighters or office workers or Penagon officials or ambulance drivers. I didn't watch the 9-11 telathon.

This may sound insensitive but this is how my life has been impacted: I take off my shoes at airports. Honestly, that's about it.

Maybe it's about proximity. When I hear "New York" I have about as much personal connection to it as many people do when they hear "Africa". I get sad when I hear about college kids getting jailed for doing nothing more than forgetting their IDs. I dream about starving families living within sight of the Intercontinental Hotel. That's where my heart aches. But New York is fiction to me.

No comments: